A report done by the CDC shows that between 1992 and 2002, 3378 workers died from on-the-job electricity related injuries in the US alone. Electric shocks remained as the sixth leading cause of occupational deaths.
While there is no recorded statistics to show how many deaths take place globally due to electric injuries at the workplace, we can only guess that they are so many. So serious are the US states about electrical injuries and deaths that they have named May as the national electrical safety month.
Any electrician worth their salt knows the value of the best work boots for electricians that not only protects them from electric related injuries but is also comfortable to wear. The boot should be slip resistant, breathable and with a good padding to cushion you from pressure from beneath your feet.
We have found the Caterpillar men’s second shift steel toe boot to pass all the parameters that an electrician would want in their boots for electricians. It is the most comfortable work boots for electricians. That does not mean that it is the only shoe worth for an electrician. The others are also equally good electrician shoes. We review the best work boots for electricians here:
Best Work Boots for Electricians
|Timberland PRO Men's Endurance Steel Safety Toe Puncture Resistant Work Boot Industrial||Electrical Hazard protection. Fiberglass shank for structural support.||Steel|
|Caterpillar Men's Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boots||Steel toe with padded ankle and oil-resistant outsole.||Steel|
|KEEN Utility Men's Braddock Mid Steel Toe Waterproof Work Shoe||Features KEEN Patented Toe Protection, where the boot outsoles wrap up and over the toes for ultimate protection.||Steel|
|Dr. Martens, Men's Icon 2295 Steel Toe Heavy Industry Boots||Offers protection against electrical hazards - Standard: ASTM F2413-11 MI/75 C/75 EH.||Steel|
The Timberland pro men’s endurance 6 inch steel toe is the ideal fit for electricians who work long hours while standing and need to feel comfortable while doing so. The electrical hazard boots are waterproof, warm and keep your feet safe from any accident. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
The Anti-Fatigue Technology with conical geometry in the polyurethane midsole allows absorption of a lot of shock from underneath your feet. Their Antimicrobial lining fights odor and bacteria while at the same time breathing air to your feet.
The abrasion-resistant outsole grips the ground for reliable traction on any site. They feature a Steel-Flex puncture resistant plate that gives you an assurance that you have ample under foot protection. Thanks to the cement construction of these work boots for electricians, you have enhanced flexibility and that allows reduced break-in time.
- Have a unique lacing style that first holds the lower laces as you tighten from bottom to top.
- They have an electrical hazard (EH) rating protection.
- The outsole is perfect for slip, oil and abrasion resistance.
- Loses their waterproofing feature with time and so you will have to apply wax and waterproofing spray-ons regularly.
- Quality has dropped off and these eh rated boots aren’t as durable as they used to be.
- Not very breathable and most wearers have complained of getting blisters wearing them.
Also Read: Best breathable waterproof work boots
2. Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift steel Toe Work Boots
This work boot has been designed to save the day for people who work all day long while standing. The Caterpillar men’s second shift steel toe electrician boots not only provide you with comfort but they also deliver protection from work hazards. They are also durable due to their high quality make. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
Their Climasphere breathable insoles keep your feet comfortable even while standing. The Goodyear Welt construction is set for flexibility and durability. The T3 rubber outsole offers slip resistant and stability.
No one enjoys having sweaty and smelly feet at work, do they? The nylon mesh lining in the boot allows breathability and comfort wicking away any sweat on your feet. These electrician work boots are EH compliant for on-working safety. They have a steel toe design to help protect your feet from compression and impact.
- Breathable and very comfortable to wear.
- EH rated.
- Durable electrician shoes that will give you true value for your money.
- Offer a good traction on ground while at the same time being slip resistant.
- You will have to maintain it with wax to keep the waterproof feature.
3. KEEN Utility Men’s Braddock Mid Steel Toe Waterproof Work Boot
Keen utility Braddock work boots make you work in confidence due to the oil and slip resistant outsoles. Having these boots all day that feature a waterproof outer membrane, metatomical arch support, heel pad and a steady shank will make you wonder how fast your shift ends since they are so comfortable. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
The boots have a KEEN Patented Toe Protection coupled up with a boot sole that wraps up and over the toes giving you the best protection that you would ever wish for.
- Offers lots of toe space.
- Looks hip and cool.
- Very breathable.
- Comfortable and slip resistant.
- Shoe laces break easily.
- Uncomfortable to use while climbing poles.
4. Dr. Martens Men’s Icon 2295 Steel Toe Heavy Industry Boots
The Dr Martens work boots have a slip resistant outsole that also acts as an insulation to protect you against any accidental contact with an electrical charge. Its material is made of natural leather thus increasing its rate of durability. The outsole grips you to the ground while at the same time being slip resistant to oil, fat and petrol spillages. It has a steel toe cap to protect you against impact and compression. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon
- Have insulation to protect workers from weather elements.
- Available for both men and women
- Certified as S2 EN leather for its water resistant quality.
- Offers protection against electrical hazards.
- It is not waterproof.
Also Read: Waterproof Work boots
5. Carhartt Men’s CMF6366 6Inch Composite Toe Boots
The unique rugged flex technology on the Carhartt men’s work boots makes what you are doing feel easier to do. They help keep your feet well supported and protected from any harm. The Cement constructed Carhartt Rugged Flex outsoles makes them long lasting while at the same time gripping the ground firmly so that you do not slip easily. The Safety toe EH that meets ASTM standards protects you against any accidental contact with electrical circuits. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
- Rubber sole with a shock absorbing feature for any environment.
- The cement constructed outsole makes it durable and long lasting while giving you an excellent traction on the ground.
- The safety toe protects you against impact and compression hazards.
- The EH protects you against contact with electrical circuits of 18,000 volts or less.
- Poor insole quality; they wear out fast.
- Not really waterproof
- Uncomfortable and have poor breathability which could lead to blisters appearing on your feet.
6. KEEN Utility Men’s Davenport 6” Composite Toe Insulated Waterproof Work Shoe
These Keen Davenport boots are 100% non-metallic to help you easily pass through metal detectors in secured areas. This EH rated footwear offers a high range of protection in case of any accidental contact with electrical circuits. The 90 degree heel helps lock your foot in place without tripping over. They have a breathable liner that lets water vapor out so you do not have clammy sweaty feet while working. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
- Comfortable even for those who work while standing all day long.
- Comfortable sizing.
- Patented toe protection; the outsole wraps up and over the toes for ultimate protection.
- Slip resistant.
- Quality have changed since they start wearing out easily.
- Inner lining loosens up after sometimes making them get on and off every time.
- Very long laces.
7. Timberland PRO Men’s Boondock Composite Safety Toe Waterproof Work Boot
Coming from a reputable brand like Timberland, this work boot features all the good qualities that you would want when looking for a shoe fit for an electrician. Made with the finest waterproof leather, a breathable moisture wicking lining with an antimicrobial treatment for odor control, this shoe is big on comfort and breathability. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
The TPU outsole features deep lugs for traction and is slip, oil and abrasion resistant. The thick outsole also absorbs any shock and pressure from underneath your feet. It is EH rated and so your feet are protected from any electric shock that would emanate from your stepping on a live wire.
- Waterproof leather.
- Very roomy making your feet comfortable.
- Abrasion resistance and durable.
- Features an external heel cap to increase stability.
- Outsoles feature deep lugs for traction.
- Light in weight.
- The heel part of the boots wear out very fast.
- You would have to keep on applying wax and spray-ons to keep the leather waterproof.
8. Thorogood Men’s GEN-flex Cap Toe, Composite Safety Toe Boot
With a removable single-density polyurethane footbed coupled with an EVA Cushion Flex insole, you are assured of comfort and breathability while wearing this work boot. The VGS 300 Technology on the outsoles, on the other hand, assure you of shock absorption all day no matter how tough or rough the surfaces you are working on are. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
The Thorogood men’s Gen-Flex safety toe boots are well tested for ASTM industry criteria assuring you of their slip resistance whether you are working in an environment with water or oil spills. They are high voltage electrical safety shoes. Featuring a Goodyear storm welt construction, the Thorogood work boots are highly durable and will give you a true value for your money.
- Features a work boots electrical hazard composite toe protection.
- Multi directional traction lug outsole which is also oil and slip resistant.
- Light weight.
- Goodyear storm welt construction.
- Polyurethane removable footbeds together with special EVA cushion flex insole make the boot well padded and comfy to wear.
- Leaks when wet.
Choosing the Best Work Boots for Electricians
Being an electrician is tough. You will be expected to stand for painstakingly long hours and face a myriad of hazards in your line of work. You will therefore need tough shoes to boot. When you are out there shopping for the best work boots for electricians, here are a few factors that you need to look out for when selecting your ideal work boot:
The EH is a key thing that you are supposed to get familiar with when checking the design of work boots. It is an ASTM’s (American Society for Testing Materials) code for electrical hazard protection. If you are an electrician, this is a must feature for any boot that you want to buy.
Other than the EH code on your work boot, you are also to consider the kind of toe that your boot features. Because let’s face it, electricians face a lot of hazards in their line of work. Other than the risk of an electric shock, you also need to protect your feet from that heavy box of light fittings that might fall from above injuring your feet. Your tools of trade could also slip as you fix a faulty bulb hitting right on your toe. For all this, you will need either a steel or a safety toe boot.
There are also mishaps that you could face from beneath such as hard surfaces and slippery floors. Puncture resistant boots have steel plates as part of the outsole to avoid harsh objects hurting your foot from beneath. The outsole also has excellent tread marks that keep you standing firmly and stably on the ground.
Let’s describe the three types of protective toe caps that you can have on your boot:
- Eh rated steel toe boots are set to protect you from falling objects or any form of compression.
- Composite toe work boots are non-metallic and non-magnetic in the toe area.They are light in weight and won’t conduct cold and heat easily as metal would.
- Alloy toe work boots are made of aluminum or titanium; they are thicker than steel toe work boots but do not conduct cold temperatures. They are ideal for workers looking for lightweight safety toe caps.
When selecting the best work boots for electricians, make sure you choose a good fit. Choosing the wrong fit for this kind of shoe could make you lose interest in your work or get you grumpy all day, fatigued to the core. If you have already chosen a fit too tight, it would be better replacing it immediately even though there is a shipping fee charged on you rather than accepting a shoe fit that will tire you all through its life cycle.
Choose a work boot that is lightweight, one that you can easily walk in without too much strain. Look for breathable and waterproof work boots to keep your feet warm and healthy.
The boots should also also have a quality insole that gives you proper arch support for comfort.
4. Quality of the work boots
No one would just want to spend a lot of money for a boot that is not meant to last for long. We want a boot that gives us a true value for our money, right? Yes, everyone wants something that they will use and finally say that ,“yeah, this was worth it!”
Check whether the boots are able to keep you safe as you work as an electrician. Also check on the materials used, look on how these materials have been stitched together. Check whether the descriptions given about the products really meet what you see physically.
5. Stability of the boots
Quality work boots should be able to offer excellent traction and don’t stick on mud, they should be stable. Your boots should also be able to resist front or back twists on unstable ground. Choose boots that have a lug shape and tread pattern..
6. Ease of maintenance
Work boot experts advise that it would be wiser spending more money on an expensive boot that requires little to no maintenance than buying a cheap shoe whose maintenance you would have to pay through the nose.
Frequently asked Questions(FAQs) about best work boots for electricians
We sampled frequently asked questions that people ask when they want to buy the best work boots for electricians. Lets dig into them:
Do electricians need special boots?
Yes. Electricians need special boots that are uniquely safeguarded.They should be able to hold up to a variety of different work surroundings. The boots should also be durable enough to cope up with constant wear and tear that you will face in your line of work. Work boots for electricians should have a thick outsole made of rubber to help insulate your body if you mistakenly step on a live wire.
What does electrical hazard boots mean?
Electrical hazard (EH) label on an electrician’s shoe means that the boots will not complete an electrical circuit to the ground preventing you from being shocked if you step on a live wire.
Why do we need to wear rubber shoes when working with electricity?
To answer this question, let’s study a little physics. Materials that have few or zero conductive electrons in their atomic structure are called insulators.Rubber is a good insulator since it has few conductive electrons in its atomic structure.
Rubber helps not to conduct electricity. This will help ensure the safety of an electrician since the current will not pass through your foot, hence electricity cant pass through your body.
Rubber also offers incredible comfort features, you can work all long without getting tired. It works as a soft padding that holds your feet protecting it from shock and pressure from beneath.
Should I get a six-inch or an eight-inch shaft?
The height of your work boots should go according to your personal preferences, and according to what you feel comfortable with. If you sprain or roll your ankles often go for an 8 inch. If you are not concerned with the amount of ankle support, a 6 inch shaft will just do fine.