Statistics from the National Safety Councils (NSC) show that every year, twice as many days are lost due to pain and discomfort as compared to days lost due to actual injury. One industry where workers front a no show up at work is in construction where they complain of pain or bodily discomfort.
WebMD says that on average, you get tired of standing after 5 hours. But what if you are a mason or electrician and have a work shift that spans for over 10 hours standing? Do you throw in the towel and make an Irish exit from the workplace? No, you continue working but get the most comfortable steel toe boots for standing all day that are going to dissipate all this discomfort and fatigue.
Most Comfortable Steel Toe boots for Standing All Day – Comparison Table
|Caterpillar Men's Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boots||Ankle-cut work boot with steel toe with padded ankle and oil-resistant outsole||Work boots for standing on concrete all day.|
|Timberland PRO Men's Pitboss 6" Steel-Toe Boots||Comfort Suspension technology is a unique comfort system that meets the most rigorous work site demands.||Men's Industrial & Construction Shoes.|
|Carhartt Women's 6 Inch Waterproof Wedge Steel Toe Work Boot||FastDry Technology Lining that wicks away sweat for comfort.||Most comfortable work boots for women.|
|Thorogood Men's American Heritage Moc Toe, MAXwear Wedge Boots||Removable Ultimate Shock Absorption footbed on Poron comfort cushion insole.||Most comfortable work boots.|
Since Caterpillar started making their signature Caterpillar Men’s second shift steel toe work boot, construction workers have sworn that they are never going to wear anything else. Boasting of a full grain leather make, steel toe and Climasphere breathable insoles, these work boots give you longevity, safety and comfort all rolled into one.
Owing to their high class design, comfort and affordability, the Caterpillar Men’s second shift steel toe work boot earned our top spot as the most comfortable work boots for standing all day.
But the Caterpillar second shift work boots are not the only shoes bagging an award for being cozy shoes that men can work in. There are others. Let’s jump into our kick-ass review on best shoes for standing all day for men.
What are the most comfortable steel toe boots for standing all day?
1. Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot
A mix of classic ruggedness, feet comfort and durable reliability is what you will get when you order the Caterpillar Men’s second shift steel toe work boot. In fact, the boots are so comfortable that one reviewer said that wearing them makes it a little less like work. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
The ASTM and EH standardized steel toe protect your feet from any objects that might fall on your feet. Beneath your feet is the steel shank and as such your feet are fortified by a wall of protection from up and beneath. With breathable Climasphere insoles to boot, your feet are assured of comfort and excellent airflow without any bad odor emanating from them.
The T3 rubber outsole is slip-resistant to water and oil and will give you an excellent traction on the ground. The removable pure leather sock liners provide your feet with comfort so that you do not get blisters on your feet.
- Breathable boots with squishy Climasphere insoles.
- There is extra room between your toe and the steel toe.
- Great traction on the ground.
- Protection from electrical hazards.
- Of late, their quality is wanting with the outsole separating from boot after a few months of use.
2. Timberland PRO Men’s 6″ Pit Boss Steel-Toe
Proving itself to be a real Pit Boss, this work boots are the most comfortable steel toe boots. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
They also meets all the requirements that you would require in a work boot; tough, safe and comfortable. The outsole meets ANSI standards for being oil, abrasion-resistant and having a good grip on the ground.
The tongue and collar are well padded to ensure extra comfort to your feet. The breathable inner lining and footbed are made of soft material that enhances your feet comfort while at the same time featuring antimicrobial treatment to control bad odor.
- Well padded tongue and collar to ensure your feet feel comfortable.
- Breathable inner lining.
- Speed hooks to give you a speedy lacing.
- Will last for a long time giving you true value for your money.
- The heel wrap is hard and could cause blisters on your ankle. You will need to wear heavy socks with this boot.
3. Carhartt Men’s 6 Inch Waterproof Wedge Steel Toe Work Boot
If you love wedge boots, then the Carhartt 6 inch Wedge steel toe boot might be worth considering. The protective safety toe meets ASTM 2413-17 standards and is EH approved. The fast dry lining wicks away sweat from your feet keeping the shoe odor free. The well-padded polyurethane insoles support your feet while at the same time absorbing all shocks from beneath. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
- Extra wedge height gives you padding and shock absorption.
- Breathable insoles with an interior textile that wicks away all sweat leaving the shoes odor free and dry.
- Protect you from electrical hazards.
- Safety toe to protect you from impact and compression hazards at work.
- In their marketing, they say that the Carhartt waterproof is a steel toe but it isn’t. Just a safety boot.
- It lacks strong padding on the ankle section. The lining around this section will undoubtedly wear off quickly.
4. Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Moc Toe, MAXwear Wedge Boot
Made by Union workers who stand all day to craft this exceptional pair of boots, Thorogood American Heritage moc toe is a boot that combines safety, longevity and comfort. It features a tobacco-all-tanned leather, shock absorption footbed and a slip-resistant outsole. This has to be the best moc toe that you can get out there. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
If you were to cut out a Thorogood longitudinally, you will see that the manufacturers really put in a good job in making a 4 layer outsole that will surely absorb shock from beneath. From down, the outsole is made of Maxwear material, a thin rubber outsole follows while cork and fireboard lay below the Poron that supports your insole.
If you are looking for work boots to wear quickly and easily, then the Thorogoods give you this with their speed hooks at the top so that you do not struggle that much as you lace them up in eyelets.
- There is a layer of Poron below the insole that absorbs shock from underneath as well as make the wear more comfortable.
- Has a fiberglass shank to absorb shock from underneath.
- Squishy well-padded and breathable footbeds.
- Comfortable inner lining made of a cloth fabric that will absorb any sweat from your feet as well as keep things cool in there.
- Interior leather padding on the ankle section so that the lining does not wear off as you wear the moc toe.
- The welt is made of PVC synthetic material that will start cracking off after some use. Not that it will make the shoe unwearable but it will just make the boot unattractive.
- It does not have a steel toe but rather a safety toe.
5. KEEN Utility Men’s Atlanta Cool-M Work Shoe
Best suited for light-duty construction workers, the Atlanta slip-on work shoe from Keen looks hip and cool while at the same time protecting you from industrial accidents. In fact when you are wearing an Atlanta, one would not think that you are wearing a steel toe since it is discretely rubberized. It is meshed up to allow excellent airflow to your feet especially during the summer. The outsole has good traction on the ground. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
Keen Atlanta work shoes are waterproof but up to the point where there are meshes. You would therefore not want to use these shoes where you are walking on large puddles of water.
- They are probably the best steel shoe shoes that a light-duty worker will ever find. One reviewer says that they feel like sneakers but with a steel toe.
- They are ESD rated to dissipate any static electricity away from your body through the outsoles.
- Great for the hot dog days of summer since they will keep your feet cool and breathing.
Cons of the Keen Utility Men’s Atlanta work shoe
- Laces come off too easily and you will have to keep tightening them which would eat into your work time. There is also this plastic at the end of the laces that swings up and down while you are walking making some annoying clanking sounds
- Are not fully waterproof since they will let in the water where the mesh begins.
6. Martens, Men’s Icon 2295 Steel Toe Heavy Industry Boots
Dr Marten’s 2285 industry boots are another good pair of boots that give you a real feel of England Wellington boots. Made with full-grain waterproof leather, the shoe is durable and will give you a true value for the money you bought it at. We however felt that the leather surrounding the safety toe needs to be hardened or protected with other material if you are going to kick ass with this boot. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
With a wood shank, EVA footbed, padded ankle locking support and a Good year welted design, the boots offer you good torsional rigidity so that your feet are well protected from shock. The Wellington boot is also EH rated and will protect you from electrical shocks at the workplace.
One downside that you will find with the Dr Martens is that it is not a real steel toe boot but rather a safety toe boot. I think it is a just a marketing gimmick when they call it steel toe.
- Great torsional rigidity
- Fully waterproof
- Water, oil-resistant outsole.
- Most comfortable steel toe boots for standing all day.
- The leather around the safety toe easily wears off.
- The outsole is not that durable and will give in to wear and tear after one year.
7. KEEN Utility Men’s Lansing Mid Steel Toe Waterproof Work Boot
Medium-duty construction workers will find the Keen Lansing mid steel toe boot comfortable while at the same time protective for their line of work. With a meshwork all through, your feet are going to get a good airflow keeping them cool even when the heat outside is unbearable. Click here to see today’s price on Amazon.
The interior lining is made with a textile that wicks away all sweat from your feet keeping the shoe dry and free from bad odours. The shoe has great torsional rigidity owing to the EVA footbed, cushioning midsoles and TPU shanks. The tongue and collar feature extra padding to keep your feet comfortable even as you stand all day.
- Breathable and very comfortable owing to the meshwork.
- Good traction even on surfaces that have water or oil spills.
- EH rated to protect you from live electrical wires that you might step on.
- At 24 ounces per boot, they are definitely on the heavier side and I would not advise you to get them if your work involves walking long distances since they would be tiring.
- They are not fully waterproof since they will start letting in water at the point where the mesh holes begin.
Factors to look into when selecting the most comfortable steel toe boots for standing all day
Did you know that up to 60 percent of older people have foot disorders that hamper them from moving around? Surprisingly, the CDC published a report claiming that most of these foot disorders such as bunions, hammer toes and ingrown toes are caused by wearing shoes that are too narrow and uncomfortable.
Wearing ill-fitting boots at work will make it so hard to see the end of the day without the urge to remove them. It gets even worse if you are going to spend the whole day standing in such narrow shoes.
So, what factors should you consider when buying the most comfortable steel toe boots for standing all day?
The material of your go-to comfortable work boot needs to be resilient to last long even with harsh weather and your brutal treatment of the shoes.
- Good grip on the floor
A good boot needs to have superb traction on the floor. When buying look at the outsole to see that it will hold firmly on the ground even when you walk in places with oil spillages.
- Passes the OSHA and ANSI, ASTM safety standards
The shoe needs to pass OSHA, ANSI and ASTM and EH safety standards. With such as shoe, you are assured of no spill-related accidents or electrical shocks while at work.
- Fit matters
Did you know that 80% of workers are in the wrong shoe? That explains why so many people are disgruntled about their work and tend to be fatigued even when they have not completed their shift hours.
I blame our poor shoe size fits on this fixation on numbers because every time you ask someone what their foot size is, they have this number that they crammed high school and never bother to get another foot measurement. A size 10 is not always a size 10 in all shoe brands. For example, a Caterpillar size 10 might be
You need to have your feet measured every time you want a new boot.
The shoe needs to fit comfortably not pressing your toes while at the same time not feeling as though it is just too large for your feet to carry. The forepart of your shoe needs to be wide enough to allow you to move your toes freely.
A hack that I have found important is buying shoes in the afternoon when my feet are the most swollen and as such you get a good fit.
If you are working in water or oil-drenched grounds, you will want a boot whose interiors are waterproof. The outer part has of course to be leather.
- Insulation from heat
You want a shoe that can withstand high temperatures without its effect being felt on your feet.
You want a shoe that is breathable with good airflow so that your feet do not smell.
- Electric surge protection
The boot needs to protect you from power surges even when you step on naked electric wires.
- Boot weight
The boot should not be too heavy for you to move around your work with ease.
- Torsional rigidity and flex of the shoe
Torsional rigidity and flex of your shoe determine how comfortable the boot feels even when you walk on brutal surfaces with sharp rocks and substances.
Test the torsional rigidity of the boot that you are about to buy. To test the torsional rigidity of your boot, try to wring it as one would do to a rug when they are washing it. If it is too easy to wring, then you have a problem with the torsional rigidity of that boot.
To test the flex of your shoe, try to fold it into two. If it is too easy to fold in half, then that is too flexible and does not have good flex. At the same time, it should not be too rigid since when you are walking, you want your boot to flex when you lift your legs and step on new ground.
- Squishy PU footbed
For best cushioning of your foot, go for a boot that has these squishy, aerated PU insoles. With these footbeds, your feet will feel comfortable and at the same time, you are assured of good ariflow to your feet thanks to the squishy feel of the insole.
Wrap up on Most Comfortable steel toe boots for standing all day
When you are doing specialized work, you also need specialized shoes to boot. And that is something that all manufacturers of steel toe boots look into. But that’s not enough. Getting a shoe size that is the right fit and offers comfort is paramount if you are looking to stand all day at work. Do not overlook the breathability, arch support and torsional rigidity that a shoe offers because all these directly correlate to your foot comfort. With uncomfortable feet comes pain, with pain, comes now show up at work. And no show up at work means no pay. You do not want that, do you?